Attorney Harry Boadwee provides legal services to U.S. and international businesses and individuals operating in California. We also support attorneys at other law firms and in-house counsel.
About Harry Boadwee
Harry Boadwee has over 25 years of experience successfully practicing corporate and intellectual property law. He has represented U.S. and international businesses in a wide range of matters, such as:
- Negotiation of strategic alliances and intellectual property licenses;
- Providing legal advice about offerings of new technology products and services, particularly software and web services; and
- Formation and financing of startup companies.
In addition to over 8 years of practice at the Boadwee Law Office, Mr. Boadwee has held senior in-house legal positions at Amazon.com/Lab126, designers of leading e-readers and tablets, and Intuit Inc., an S&P 500 company known for its Quicken®, QuickBooks®, and TurboTax® software.
Before joining Intuit, Mr. Boadwee was an associate attorney with Fenwick & West LLP, a leading Silicon Valley technology law firm, and Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, a major international law firm based in New York City. At Fenwick & West, he chiefly represented Internet, software and technology startup companies in venture financing and licensing matters. At Debevoise & Plimpton, he negotiated the purchase, license or financing of intellectual property in leveraged buy-out (LBO) and M&A transactions exceeding $5 billion. He also negotiated a broad range of trademark, copyright, patent, publishing and distribution agreements.
Client Businesses & Technologies
His current and past technology clients operate in many industries with many technologies, such as:
- Software and services: platform and app software for tablets, streaming media players and cell phones; quantitative securities trading; financial software and web services; online affiliate programs; pattern and face recognition software; online auction software tools; web-based databases and collaboration services; network monitoring and optimization software; automated “screen-scraping” of web content; help-desk management software; digital music software; and broadband cable internet service.
- Hardware: broadcast-quality video servers, high-performance gas turbine engines, and laser and inkjet printers.
He has also represented traditional businesses for their corporate, contracts and intellectual property needs, in industries such as water purification, recycling, pens and pencils, insurance, retail, human resources (HR) services, and branded apparel.
Education & Honors
He is a 1987 graduate of Columbia Law School, where he was a James Kent Scholar, a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, and an Articles Editor of the Columbia Law Review. He received his A.B. degree with distinction in 1981 from Stanford University, and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He is a 1981 graduate of the Radcliffe Publishing Procedures Course (now at Columbia). He attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) from 1977 to 1979, where he was an undergraduate research assistant at The MIT Architecture Machine Group, the predecessor of the MIT Media Lab.
“Cyberspace Law – 2011 in Review,” in State Bar of California, Business Law News (Annual Review 2012). Co-author with Stephen Davis.
“The Digital Millennium Copyright Act and User-Generated Content,” in Cyberspace Law Committee of the State Bar of California’s Business Law Section, Cyberspace Law and Policy: A Primer for State Policymakers (2010).
Note, Product Market Definition for Video Programming, 86 Columbia Law Review 1210 (1986).
Boadwee Law Office Publications:
- Technology Contracts Glossary (2009). Available at www.BoadweeLaw.com/glossary
- Protect Your Business with Non-Disclosure Agreements: A Guide for Technology Companies and Executives (2008-2009). Available at: www.BoadweeLaw.com/ndabook
- Blog focused on Technology Transactions, Software and Internet Law
Mr. Boadwee is admitted to practice law in New York and California.
He has been an appointed member (2008-2012) of the Cyberspace Law Committee of the Business Law Section of the California State Bar, and a member of the Board of Directors of the Sunnyvale-Cupertino Bar Association.
Contact Harry Boadwee today for a free initial consultation.